Welcome to CGS Trust
CGS Trust is a Bristol-based multi-academy trust formed in 2012 which seeks to provide outstanding education for its pupils. Currently CGS Trust has six schools – Colston’s Girls’ School; Bannerman Road Community Academy; Barton Hill Academy; The Dolphin School; Fairlawn Primary School; and The Kingfisher School.
Our belief is that all young people can succeed if they have access to exceptional education in an empathetic and supportive environment, and it is our ambition to provide this for every pupil in our schools.
The Trust is sponsored by the Society of Merchant Venturers (SMV), a Bristol-based philanthropic organisation whose membership comprises prominent and successful men and women, prepared to give their time and skills to contribute to the prosperity and wellbeing of the greater Bristol area.
SMV actively contributes to many of the Trust’s activities and has strong representation on each of the governing bodies. SMV also works closely with the Department for Education, Bristol City Council and the local community.
Sharing strengths and valuing differences
CGS Trust respects the individual identity of each school, and values their unique attributes.
We work together to develop and build upon our collective strengths, establishing best practice, and we continually strive to be positioned at the forefront of improvement in education standards and the resulting outcomes for young people.
We actively encourage all students to develop a deep and sustained passion for learning, alongside the academic and character skills necessary to achieve their ambitions and to prepare them for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life as global citizens.
The creation of a challenging, engaging and values-led curriculum focusses on:
- Developing clearly defined and challenging goals for English, maths, science, humanities, languages and computing, as well as core skills
- Promoting cultural appreciation and a global perspective which will prepare pupils to take their place as active citizens
- Supporting and engaging parents, particularly in the early years and in the most disadvantaged families, so that learning within the school and the wider context is enjoyed by everyone
- Promoting wider community involvement, including links with businesses and community groups
- A commitment to distributive leadership across the Trust, empowering staff through supportive and targeted professional development
- Creating effective systems that position learning at the heart of everything we do as a Trust
What this means for the CGS Trust community
A coherent, rich and responsive curriculum that:
- Establishes high aspirations and expectations
- Nurtures and celebrates a range of talents and skills
- Unleashes curiosity and creativity
- Exposes children to new experiences, situations and challenges
- Develops independent minds
- Builds capacity to be reflective, resilient, resourceful, enterprising and self-assured
- Provides stretch and challenge
- Supports the development of healthy minds and bodies
- Encourages respect and responsibility for family, community and the environment
- Commitment to working in partnership between the Trust and parents
- Active involvement in their child’s education
- Actively developing our professional learning community
- Commitment to a planned programme of Continuing Professional Development for each staff member
- Nurturing ambition
- Growing our own leaders, teachers and support staff
- Commitment to excellent training
- Thoughtful use of the skills and talents of current governors and considered succession planning
- Participation in a range of school activities
- A sense of the benefits achieved through contributing to the ongoing development of the schools within CGS Trust
For CGS Trust partners:
- Supporting the dissemination of best practice across the family of schools, including innovation, systems, research, pedagogy, policy and practice
- Enabling expertise, leaders, materials and support services to be shared across schools
- Enabling more efficient and effective use of resources
- Strengthening and coordinating community, business and university links for students and staff
CGS Trust is driven by a moral purpose to provide the best education for each of our pupils in a nurturing and positive environment. To find out more about the Trust and contact details please visit www.cgstrust.com.