School History

old cgscgs buildingOn 18 January 1891 Colston’s Girls’ School opened with the first pupil on roll being Clare Guest, the daughter of a local butcher.  The school was funded by the Society of Merchant Venturers, using the substantial bequest of Edward Colston which was made for the provision of education.

The school on the Cheltenham Road was designed by the architect W.V Gough and is distinctive in its yellow and red brick.  It has been likened to “egg and bacon”!

Within its walls there are modern facilities where the girls are encouraged to achieve at the highest level.

For over 100 years the school has adapted to the changing educational environment in Bristol.  In the 1960s we were a Direct Grant Grammar School and became a fee paying independent school in 1966.

From September 2008, the School took on Academy status with a specialism in languages.  Girls can study a variety of European, Oriental and Classical languages and this is in addition to a varied curriculum where excellence is celebrated.

The Society of Merchant Venturers remains our trustee and provides support for our girls in all areas of their education.  We encourage the girls to respond positively to their world – we are a thriving “green” community and all forms have a charity focus each term.