Physical Education

Introduction and benefits

The PE Department aims to encourage all students and staff to participate in sport regardless of ability. It is our passion to share with all our enthusiasm and expertise for the subject from those who want to just keep fit to those who wish to excel.

Our Curriculum is broad and offers students a variety of activities. We teach students the values of physical activity and how to carry this through to adult life in order to live a healthy active lifestyle. We also allow students to experience a number of different roles including official and coach. Each Year we hold a number of Inter Form and House competitions including Netball, Hockey, Swim Gala and Sports Day all of which allow all students to take part. Our extra-curricular programme offers all students a variety of activities and fixtures to take part in. At the end of the year we celebrate the success of those who represent the School in our Annual Sports Presentation Evening.

In the build up to the 2012 Olympic Games we focused on the Olympic Values by integrating them into the Physical Education Curriculum as well as wider School activities. We still encourage students to live by these values.

The Department was judged to be outstanding in every category in the department specific Ofsted inspection in 2012.

Curriculum outline

Year 7

In Year 7 students will develop a number of fundamental skills required for many sports. Sports covered include Netball, Hockey, Fitness, Gymnastics, Dance, Rounders, Tennis and Athletics. Year 7 students also receive Swimming lessons once a week.

Year 8

In Year 8 students continue to build on the skills learnt in Year 7 and begin to focus in more depth on the analysis of performance in order to improve their own and others performance. In addition the sports covered in Year 7, Year 8 students also experience Basketball and Cricket.

Year 9

In Year 9 the focus shifts to coaching and officiating as well as continuing to improve performance. Additional sports covered include Badminton, Volleyball, Problem Solving and Football.

Year 10

All students in Year 10 will receive PE lessons. Students will experience a wider choice in the activities followed and will also have the opportunity to try sports such as Iceskating, Lacrosse and Tag Rugby.

In addition to core PE, Edexcel GCSE PE is an option. 60% of the exam is practical with the remaining 40% a written examination. The practical is divided into four performances as a player, official and/or coach. Students are also required to complete an Analysis of Performance in one of their chosen sports.

Year 11

All students continue to receive PE lessons with a varied Curriculum tailored to the needs of students and the opportunity to try sports such as Climbing.

GCSE PE students will continue their studies in preparation for their Summer exam. This year they will design and carry out a Personal Exercise Programme (PEP).

Resources

Onsite facilities include a Gymnasium, a small fitness suite and outdoor courts for sports such as Netball, Tennis, 5 aside Football and Basketball.

Our offsite facilities are based at Clifton College Sports Ground and includes two astros, one waterbase astro, one 3G astro and one indoor dome for Tennis and Netball.

Extra curricular

A range of sports including Hockey, Netball, Football, Basketball Cross Country, Athletics, Tennis, Rounders, Gymnastics and Badminton. We also take part in festivals for sports such as Cricket and Lacrosse. See below for this term’s extra curricular activities, open to all ages.

Spring Term Extra-Curricular Activities

Spring Fixtures 2017

Staff contacts
  • Ms S Entwisle – Head of PE
  • Ms K Rolfe (Maternity Leave)
  • Miss R Cantin
  • Mrs K Cooper
  • Mrs R Cockcorft
  • Miss E Hellyer
  • Ms N Langham
  • Ms L Pugh (Maternity Leave)