- The school will only authorise absence during term time in exceptional circumstances. We will assess each request on an individual basis, considering both the impact missing school will have on the child’s education and any special circumstances of which you make us aware. The school will take into account:
– the overall attendance pattern of the pupil
– the timing of the absence
– the nature of the absence
– the pupil’s age and the stage in their education
- If an absence is granted, it will be recorded as ‘authorised absence’.
- The law requires attendance at school and many parents are not aware it is not a parental right to take children out of school during term time. If a parent/carer takes their child out of school without permission, this will count as an ‘unauthorised absence’ (truancy). Penalty notices can be issued to parents of children with unauthorised absence. Penalty notices are issued to each parent of each child. The amount is £60 if paid within 21 days, rising to £120 if paid between 22 and 28 days. If the penalty notice is not paid, the parent may be prosecuted for the offence of failing to ensure their child’s regular attendance at school.
- The application must be made in advance. Retrospective requests will not be considered. Please return a complete leave of absence request form to the school no less than 10 days before the absence is due to start.
- Absences for religious observance must be made using this form, in advance, not on the day or retrospectively; however the school will waive the 10 days’ notice period.
- There are 16 weeks of the year during which the school is closed (3 weeks more than LA schools).
- Every school day counts and any absence from school will result in lost learning and a risk of underachievement.